Your Responsibility Code
The National Ski Areas Association (NSAA) developed “Your Responsibility Code” to help skiers and snowboarders be aware that there are elements of risk in snow sports that can be reduced with common sense and personal awareness
- Always stay in control, and be able to stop or avoid other people or objects.
- People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid them.
- You must not stop where you obstruct a trail, or are not visible from above.
- Whenever starting downhill or merging into a trail, look uphill and yield to others.
- Always use devices to help prevent runaway equipment.
- Observe all posted signs and warnings. Keep off closed trails and out of closed areas.
- Prior to using any lift, you must have the knowledge and ability to load, ride and unload safely.
It’s your responsibility to know and practice the code. Keep in mind this is only a partial list. For more information, check out the full NSAA safety program.